Thursday, March 20, 2014

DIY Lotion Bars & Lip Balm


After searching pinterest for the perfect recipe, I settled in on this recipe (although I didn't follow it perfectly).  I tried to go as organic as possible. I always have my coconut oil and essential oils on hand, but I ordered the cocoa butter and beeswax (the pellet kind) on Amazon.com.  I stuck a glass bowl inside a sauce pan with a little water on bottom of pan. threw in the cocoa butter til melted then added the coconut oil and beeswax, once it was all melted I added the essential oil. Then I poured them into a muffin pan (I greased the pan with coconut oil first) and then carefully poured the mixture into my lip balm tubes (I got them off of Amazon.com), I used some sort of eye dropper to get it in the tubes but I did make a mess still! You can stick them in the freezer to make them solid faster.
I made this at Christmas for gifts so I can't remember exactly how much I used but you basically use equal parts of the beeswax, cocoa butter and coconut oil then add drops of EO to your liking. I think I did about 8 oz of ea and 1 to 2 tsp of EO (give or take).. this made about a dozen lotion bars and a dozen lip balms (or maybe it was only 9, I so don't pay attention to these things). It was Christmas so I used peppermint EO and with the cocoa butter it was like chocolate peppermint, yum. I've also done lotion bars with lavender and ones with lemon EO, yum yum. I ALWAYS keep my lotion bar next to the kitchen sink, so after doing dishes I can lather my hands with this yummy homemade goodness.


No comments:

Post a Comment